Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge


Alyson Beecher over at Kid Lit Frenzy hosts a Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge and has a roundup every Wednesday. I love the encouragement to explore more non-fiction. I am thankful that she has this challenge because I know I have read more nonfiction texts as a result.

I was able to pick up a few F&Gs at ALA Midwinter so will share a little bit about two of them here. 


One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia
Written by Miranda Paul & Illustrated by Elizabeth Zunon
On shelves now

This is a wonderful example of someone seeing a problem, thinking of a possible solution, and working together with others to make it all happen. Teachers are often looking for stories about everyday people making a difference in the world and Isatou Ceesay along with women in her community did just that. There were too many plastic bags littering their village and causing all kinds of problems, but they came together to make a change. I appreciated the resources at the end of the book including the author's note, a timeline, glossary, and a list of books about other people who have brought about positive changes in our world. 

I'm a sucker for collage and enjoyed the colorful patterns and the many textures used here. To see more of the illustrations and find out more about the book, check out the trailer below.




Poet: The Remarkable Story of George Moses Horton
by Don Tate

Before I start talking about this one, I should probably warn you that it isn't in Goodreads yet and it won't be published until fall. The best place to find information about this book is a wonderful post over on Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast. Don Tate and Julie had a conversation about this book and other things he has in the works. I enjoyed seeing illustrations that didn't make it into the book along with some that did.

This is an interesting biography for several reasons. For one, George Moses Horton was a slave and taught himself how to read. He also managed to do a few other unexpected things like publish poetry that protested slavery while he was a slave.

It's a gift to be able to read about George Moses Horton. He had a love for words and he was able to use them in a unique way. 

Once the book is out, I will want to revisit the story and write a more complete review, but I am definitely looking forward to seeing the final copy.

3 comments:

  1. So intrigued by this title about Horton. Will be following the link to Seven Impossible Things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story about Horton reminds me of Sojourner Truth's story as well. What persistence to do well and learn despite not "really" being includes. I need to get the 'plastic bag' story too-sounds so good. Thanks, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken note of One Plastic Bag and would most likely have our librarian purchase a copy of this one. :)

    ReplyDelete