Tuesday, March 3, 2015

[#sol15} Making and Learning 3/31

hosted by Two Writing Teachers



Today I had the opportunity to be a student. Our local CESA hosted a session on Makerspaces. Being in the student chair is always a reminder to me about my learning preferences. When the leader explained the instructions for our first activity, my brain was jumping to what I would do next. That's when she said that we would work in groups of three or four. My enthusiasm level dropped immediately. Logically, I know working as a team would be helpful and others will have knowledge to help accomplish the task, but that doesn't change how I feel. It was fun to laugh and chat while we worked and as we worked together, I settled in, but my instinct is to go it alone.

Many of the activities were team oriented and that was hard for me. I wanted to lay out all of the materials and check to see what we had. That worked with one team activity because my partner liked that too, but in another, team members dove in and it was a little chaotic for a while. I could feel myself getting edgy. Again, once we got going, there was laughter and we accomplished our task. It was fun, but getting past the initial discomfort took a little time.

One great thing about the experience was being reminded of the feelings and thoughts my students may have in class. Another positive was being able to make things. I'm super excited about getting some makerspace materials together for the coming year in our new building. It should be a wonderful learning adventure for all of us.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, Crystal. I prefer to go it alone and get quite edgy when I have to do what someone else wants to do. I do like the idea of creating a makerspace in my classroom. I am going to start thinking about what I could do. My students would love it! So, so you want to work on it together?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you, Crystal. I prefer to go it alone and get quite edgy when I have to do what someone else wants to do. I do like the idea of creating a makerspace in my classroom. I am going to start thinking about what I could do. My students would love it! So, so you want to work on it together?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is good for us to switch roles in order to understand how some of our students feel when put in circumstances that they might not enjoy. It isn't that I think that we should avoid putting students in situations that they are not comfortable. They need to learn how to deal with their feelings and how to make the best of any situation, as you did. By putting ourselves in uncomfortable circumstances, we learn how best to help our students deal with their feelings when they need our help and support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun experience, but yet enlightening. Sometimes we don't realize asking students to work in a group is not their strength.

    ReplyDelete