Saturday, September 26, 2015

Celebrate!

Discover. Play. Build.  

Ruth Ayres has a link-up on weekends where people link to posts that are celebrations about their week. I love this reminder to celebrate every week.

Today I am celebrating books. I have celebrated them before and will probably celebrate them again many times. Books make me laugh, cry, think, relax, and so many more things. Some people may think that reading is isolating, but I've also found that books can help me connect with people. This year I've already shared many books with my students. We've had discussions and we've laughed together. We have common texts that we can refer to and have shared memories of those conversations and especially the laughter.

Books have also brought me into contact with so many people via Twitter. There are two groups of people that I have appreciated over the past few years - the Nerdybookclub and advocates for inclusion and diversity. I am afraid to start lists of names for fear of leaving people out, but also, the lists would be so amazingly long. That's the celebration. It's fantastic to find so many people with a passion for reading and books.

I also celebrate having the time to read. I get to work in a job where I actually get paid to read. How lucky is that? This week I got to read Wings, The Swirling Hijaab, Interrupting Chicken, What Can You Do With a Rebozo?, The Three Questions, and portions of The Big Fat Cow that Went Kapow and The Cat on the Mat is Flat. Sharing books with students is such a privilege.  I look forward to teaching because children are amazing, but also because many lessons involve sharing my love of reading.

I also had time to read this weekend. Saturday mornings with a book are a treat. Today began with a cup of tea, a blueberry bagel and a fun novel. It was the perfect way to relax after a long week.

8 comments:

  1. We would be good neighbors, Crystal! I love books too & guess that's how we connected at first, and continue to do so. I just got Nimona, excited to read it! Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books are the best celebrations ever! Didn't you love Wings? So many great mentor pieces in that book. I had to start a book club at our school after retirement just so I could continue to share the book love! So glad you started Sat. morning with a fun novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are part of my book community!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this celebration too :) It really is amazing what books have done for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal, So happy that you are surrounded by all the book activities that you love but the best is just what you said - having coffee or tea and a good book to get lost in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep on sharing your love of reading, Crystal and please follow the tweets from NerdCampLI on Nov. 7th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Books are amazing. Reading is mostly a solitary act but becomes such a unifying act. I love being a bookseller since I get to do what I love (reading) and the more I do it, I become better at my job.

    ReplyDelete